Professor and Chair; BSCSM Program Director
Caddell Building, 214
Ece Erdogmus is a Professor and Chair at the School of Building Construction at Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). Prior to joining Georgia Tech, she was a professor and Associate Director at the Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). She has PhD and MS degrees in Architectural Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University and a bachelor’s degree in Architecture from the Middle East Technical University in Turkey. She is a licensed civil/structural engineer in the state of Virginia.
Erdogmus’ interdisciplinary research team (Built Environment Lab) works on improving the built environment in a variety of ways: new design and construction (masonry design and construction, sustainable and resilient design and construction with low-cement materials, design choice using XR); Assessment, rehabilitation, and conservation of historical and existing structures (ARCHES) using nondestructive testing and numerical modeling; and STEM education (Augmented/Virtual Reality in STEM education and A/E/C integration). She has authored over 100 peer-reviewed technical articles and led numerous projects funded by NSF, NCMA Foundation, Nebraska DOT, and NPS/NCPTT.
Erdogmus serves the A/E/C industry through active involvement with the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Masonry Society (TMS), Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI), and the Urban Land Institute (ULI). With TMS, she is currently a member of the Board of Governors and main 402/602 Masonry Code and Standards committee; and Chair of the 402/602 structural members subcommittee and the recently completed 14th North American Masonry Conference. She is one of the founders of the Women in Masonry Fund. For ASCE/AEI, she served as the Chief Editor of the Journal of Architectural Engineering and was a member of the AEI academic council for several years.
Selected Honors and Awards
Engineering Georgia Magazine; 50 notable women in engineering and land development, March/April 2022
- Class of 2022 "Influential Women in Real Estate and Land Use (The Leaders)" by Women's Leadership Institute (WLI)
- Leading Women@Tech, Member of the 2022 Cohort
- Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI) outstanding educator award, 2019
- 2018 Rising Star by Structural engineering: Civil + Structural Engineer
- Big10 Academic Leadership Program Fellow, 2018
Recent Talks and Interviews
- Guest at Episode#1 of Podcast "A Blueprint for Equity", published by SSOE: https://www.ssoe.com/landing-pages/podcast/
Social Media and Research Profiles
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ece-erdogmus-116246a/
- Google Scholar:https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=62FKlQ0AAAAJ&hl=en
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ece-Erdogmus